When & How to Apply
Application Deadlines for the Academic Year 2019/20.
15 March 2019: for students from EU/EEA countries (including the Netherlands),
Applications should be complete (including two letters of reference) by the relevant deadline.
In order to apply to the Master of Logic or the Logic Year, you first submit an enrolment application in Studielink.
How to submit your enrolment application in Studielink
One day after you completed your registration in Studielink, you will receive an email with your UvA student number (UvA-net ID) and an email with an invitation to finalize your application by filling in an online form.
- In the online application form you will be asked to answer some questions about your (logic) background and to provide us with the name and email address of two faculty members who are familiar with your work. They will receive an automated email with an invitation to write a letter of recommendation and upload it by the relevant deadline. Please make sure that they have confirmed that they are willing and able to write a letter by the relevant deadline. If the letters have not been received by the deadline, the Admissions Board may consider your application as incomplete.
- In the online application form you will be asked for several documents, so make sure to have these ready in pdf format.
- Required documents, which must be submitted immediately:
- Curriculum vitae;
- A single pdf file containing all official transcripts and grades of all university courses/examinations taken; if the documents are not in Dutch, English, German, Italian, Spanish or French, please also submit translations;
- A single pdf file containing all diplomas of previous completed academic education. In case the documents are not in Dutch, English, German, Spanish, Italian or French, please also submit translations;
- A written statement (approximately one page) of your motivation (for instance: why are you applying for the programme, why Logic, why at the ILLC?)
- Required documents, which can be submitted later:
- The result of the English proficiency test (if required). Check our language requirements and in case of doubt please contact the International Team of the UvA's Faculty of Science. The results can be uploaded to Datanose or, later on, be submitted by email to mol-illc[at]uva.nl
- An original and certified copy of your secondary school certificate and transcript of records, or, if you have obtained a Master’s degree: a Master’s degree certificate and final transcript of records.
- Certified copies of diplomas of previous academic education and their official translation. No translation needed for diploma's regarding secondary school nor for academic diploma's in English, Dutch, German, French, Italian or Spanish.
- Please check "What is a certified document?" for more information on certified documents.
- The certified documents should be sent to this address:
The International Team, Education Service Centre University of Amsterdam, Faculty of Science
Science Park 904, Room B1.28
1098 XH Amsterdam
- The application deadlines for a start on September 1 are as follows:
15 March: for students from EU/EEA countries (including the Netherlands),If you wish to apply for a UvA scholarship (Amsterdam Science Talent Scholarship, Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship, Amsterdam Merit Scholarship, or E W Beth Scholarship), your application must have been received by 15 January, independent your country of citizenship.
15 January: for students from other countries.
Our programme is designed for a start on 1 September and we strongly recommend that all students start on that day. However, in exceptional cases, the Admissions Board admits some students to start on 1 February (i.e., at the beginning of the second semester of the academic year). The application deadlines for a start on February 1 are as follows:
1 December: for students from EU/EEA countries (including the Netherlands),
1 October: for students from other countries.
Your application should be complete on the day of the deadline, including all documents and the two letters of reference. Please be advised that registration in Studielink takes a short while, and please allow some time for your academic references to submit their letters of recommendation. As a consequence, we strongly advise all applicants to start the application procedure at least two weeks before the relevant deadline.
If your application is not complete by the deadline, the Admissions Board can either
reject the application as incomplete,
give you a few days of deadline extension to complete the application, or
consider your incomplete application.
If you expect that your application is going to be incomplete by the relevant deadline, but that you will be able to complete it within a few days, it is advisable to send us an e-mail at mol-illc at uva.nl before the deadline to alert us.
The Admissions Board may need to contact you directly in order to ask for additional information and/or clarification. Please make sure that you respond promptly to any such requests.
We aim to inform applicants of our decision within six to eight weeks after the relevant application deadline. If you have other questions, please contact us at mol-illc at uva.nl.
- If applicable, international students will be contacted by Student Services on housing matters and visa applications automatically;
- All admitted students will be contacted by the Master of Logic again at the end of June, with information about the start of the programme.
- In the meantime, if you have any questions, do feel free to contact us anytime, again at mol-illc at uva.nl.