15 January: for students from countries outside the EU/EEA and all students who wish to apply for UvA scholarships (Amsterdam Science Talent Scholarship, Amsterdam Merit Scholarship, or E W Beth Scholarship), independently of your country of citizenship;
15 March: for students from EU/EEA countries (including the Netherlands).
Please note: applications should be complete (including two letters of reference and a sufficient result of an English proficiency test) by the relevant deadline.
These deadlines apply only to the Master of Logic and can, therefore, differ from the ones of other Science programmes.
Before starting the application procedure please read this whole page carefully.
Step 1: Enrolment in Studielink
In order to apply to the Master of Logic or the Logic Year, you first submit an enrolment application in Studielink.
Please note: for the full Master of Logic as well as for the Logic Year please choose the 'Master's programme Logic' in Studielink and not the 'optional/elective course in ...'
One day after you completed your registration in Studielink, you will receive an email with your UvA student number (UvAnetID). After activating your UvAnetID, you will be asked to pay an application fee to finalize your application by filling in an online form in DataNose.
Step 2: Submitting the application form in DataNose
In the application form in DataNose you will be asked to:
- answer questions about your (logic) background;
- provide us with the name and email address of two faculty members who are familiar with your work. They will receive an automated email with an invitation to write a letter of recommendation and upload it by the relevant deadline. Please make sure that they have confirmed that they are willing and able to write a letter by the relevant deadline. If the letters have not been received by the deadline, the Admissions Board may consider your application as incomplete;
- upload several documents, so make sure to have these ready in pdf format:
- Your curriculum vitae;
- A single pdf file containing all official transcripts and grades of all university courses/examinations taken. If the documents are not in Dutch or English, please also submit translations;
- A single pdf file containing all diplomas of previous completed academic education. In case the documents are not in Dutch or English, please also submit translations. In case you have not yet finished your undergraduate degree, an official transcript is sufficient;
- A written statement of your motivation of approximately one page (explaining for instance: why are you applying for the programme, why Logic, why at the ILLC?);
- A single pdf file containing your high school diploma and grade list.
- The result of the English proficiency test (if required).
Check our language requirements and in case of doubt please contact the International Team of the UvA's Faculty of Science using this webform for applicants with an UvAnetID, and this webform for applicants without an UvAnetID.
Your application should be complete on the day of the deadline, including all documents and the two letters of reference. Please be advised that registration in Studielink takes a short while, and please allow some time for your academic referees to submit their letters of recommendation. As a consequence, we strongly advise all applicants to start the application procedure at least two weeks before the relevant deadline.
The Admissions Board may need to contact you directly in order to ask for additional information and/or clarification. Please make sure that you respond promptly to any such requests.
We aim to inform applicants of our decision within six to eight weeks after the relevant application deadline. For this deadline, see the box on top of this page.
Step 4: After admission, completing your enrolment
In order to finalize your enrolment at the UvA, the checklist in your application form in DataNose is the most trustworthy place to find out and keep track of what you still need to do.
Beside handling things like visa/residence permit and tuition fee payment, you will have to provide us with the following documents:
- Certified hard copies of diplomas of previous academic education and their official translation. No translation needed for academic diploma's in English, Dutch, German or French;
- Official hard copies of final grade transcripts of previous academic education and their official translation. No translation needed for transcripts in English, Dutch, German or French.
Please check "What is a certified document?" for more information on certified documents.
Step 5: After admission, housing
You will need to arrange a variety of practical matters before starting your studies. This includes your visa or residence permit, insurance and housing.
Read more about these topics here.
After your (conditional) admission you will receive information by means of email on how to complete your registration and how to apply for a visa or residence permit, if needed.
Step 6: After admission, other information
- Learn about practical matters;
- If applicable, international students will be contacted by central student services on visa applications automatically;
- All admitted students will be contacted by the Master of Logic again at the end of June, with information about the start of the programme;
- In the meantime, if you have any questions about the start of the programme and after, do feel free to contact us anytime using this webform for applicants with an UvAnetID, and this webform for applicants without an UvAnetID.